Monday, May 30, 2011

Some of my best friends are theists...

Just a smidgen of clarification: I have nothing against anyone's religion or god; and just to be even more clear: I'm not an atheist. The point that I am making is  manifold.

  • I question whether people would interpret unexplained, mysterious events and coincidences as evidence of the action of the god of the bible if they hadn't first been inculcated with information in the general culture about this specific subset of theism first.
  • The dominant cultural representation of religion in a nation tends to be the default position for spirituality for most people. I suspect that identical experiences in diverse cultures would yield diverse, not identical interpretations. 
  • Even within the dominant culture, independent thought still tends to conform to some extent to the cultural framework. 
What I'm against is the belief that one interpretation of experience is necessarily the correct one, much less the only one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment